Is website structure important factor for SEO? There is no doubt! Definitely “YES”.
When you are planning to create a website, you need to know the best practices to develop your website structure. It may be different for every website. That’s why you need to spend time on researching the best sites structure according to your business for knowing about it. But some basics things always same on every website. And it’s the today’s topic, we’re talking about.
So, three things you need to note:
- Research on user-friendly sites structure. ( As well as their contents structure)
- Make a plan for your website ( Step by step action plan)
- Target to make your website search engines & user-friendly.
In this post, you will learn about 6 powerful steps for creating a better website structure with right SEO recommendation. Before taking you the main points, I think you should know about its importance.
What is the structure of a website?
Website structure means how a website designed, how the web-pages are linked with another, how the contents organized & displayed and moreover about its navigation.
Why is website structure important?
Think about that – if your website has perfect & standard design, visitors can easily find any contents & products, website has well-linking structure; then search engine crawlers indexing it easily and you can get a chance for better indexing results. Even it gives far good SERP results too.
Moreover, while creating quality content, it’s structure also important to catch your audience attention. So, you might already understand the importance about it.
Okay, now let’s move to the main points. 🙂
1. Easy Navigation
Navigation has the significant impact on your website’s traffics, conversation rate and search engine ranking. According to the “The 59 Seconds Rule” of Cody Ray Miller – there are 3 reasons for users can leave your website:
- Users leave your site (Don’t match with their expectation)
- If they don’t understand what to do, they will leave (Navigation issues)
- Users leave your site if you provide them false information
So navigation is a part of your website user experience. It gives you the controlling power of your website’s performance, maintain the ratio of bounce rate (60% considered as good) and give you the opportunity to show the easiest path to your audience for exploring any pages. Poor navigation makes your audience confused. That’s why make sure you have to keep it simple, descriptive & standard.
You can note this points to make a good navigation for your website:
- Write down of your website’s primary categories
- Divided categories into subcategories (If needed)
- Easy search features
- Images must have ALT tag
- Make relevant contents
- Navigation links should be clickable
2. URL Structure SEO
URL structure is important for a website. Search engines and user-friendly URLs make better indexing results and search engines rank those pages as well. In 200 SEO ranking factors of Backlinko, URL is one of them. So you might understand the value of good URL structure.
Now the question is, “How can you make an SEO friendly URL?” You should keep the below things in mind so that you can create great URLs structure of your website.
- Using HTTPS is ideal – Recommend by Neil Patel
- Mention 1-2 keyword in the URL
- Avoid keyword repetition
- Keep the URL short (Making URL in three, four or five words, that can be perfectly normal – Matt Cutts)
- Make it easy to human and search engine readable
- Try to keep the URL in 50-60 Characters
- Keep it relevant with content
- Ignore using stop words (Stopword list)
- Don’t keyword stuffing in URL
- Don’t use underscores, use hyphens
Further Reading: Common URL Related SEO Mistakes
3. Internal Linking Structure
In simply, an Internal link is a hyperlink that connects a page with another page in the same domain.
Link example: <a href=”http://www.example.com”>anchor text</a>
Without having a good planning of internal linking structure, it would be quite hard to give a perfect direction with your contents to the audience/readers. You have to make an optimum Silo structure to make your website’s pages user-friendly and visibility to find any contents quickly.
Let’s see an example:
So why should we create internal linking structure?
- To give a path to users for exploring more options what they want.
- Search engines can index your website far better.
- Your website’s content pages can easily pass link juice.
- You can focus a pillar content and make it resourceful with relevant sub-contents.
- To improve your website design & UX
4. Mobile Responsive Design
Mobile responsive design is an integral aspect to lead mobile traffics. According to Google ranking factors, “Mobile responsive is a ranking factor.” To get mobile search traffics, you have to make your website mobile friendly so that users can easily reach it out. Even Google can penalize your website from mobile searches if you don’t optimize your website for mobile.
As we know, constantly mobile users are increasing. Smartphone users in the world is expected to reach 2.7 billion by 2019. (Source: Statista) That’s why you have to make your site responsive to increase more traffics, sales and conversation rate.
So which things should you give attention to mobile responsive?
- Website navigation support on various devices
- Screen layout and website content adjust automatically for mobile devices
- Readable and browser friendly clear font and text size that doesn’t require to zoom
Google rolled out in 2015 that mobile searches exceed desktop searches. They explained:-
“More Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the US and Japan.”
Recommend reading: Google Mobile SEO Recommendation
5. Fresh & Good Design
“First impression are 94% design related. Quality web design establishes trust and credibility.”
While creating great contents can be the goal, it also requires making the quality designed site. If you make it with poorly design, it can be stuck with low conversation and positive impression.
Well, you might want to know which things you should give attention? To give your site consistent look, make sure you follow the below things:
- Fonts and typography should attractive and easily readable
- Invest time for the color palette
- User-friendly web layout
- Fix coding errors
- Fix W3 Validation
- Fix broken links
- Ignore flash contents
- Try to avoid iframe
6. Website Speed
“79% of online shoppers say they won’t go back to a website if they’ve had trouble with load speed.”
So I recap, some points why website speed important for your online business:
- To improve user experience
- For search engine ranking
- To get better conversation rate
Recommend reading: How Fast Should A Website Load in 2018?
So, how can you improve your website speed? You will great suggestions by Neil Patel in the below video.
Finally, what do you do for optimizing website structure? In the above 6 steps, which step do you think more important for a website? Please share your experience or anything else I missed in this post. 🙂
Share Your Thoughts
Powered by Facebook Comments